Friday, November 30, 2012

Teacher vs. Student

I have learned a lot over this past semester, in my classes and during my field experience. One of the big things that I noticed was that there is a HUGE difference between being a teacher and a student. As a student you have to complete homework and study for tests, but as a teacher you have to create lesson plans, correct homework, grade tests, communicate with parents, and organize your classroom (all while making it look so easy to the students).

As a student I always thought the teacher was mean for giving us so much homework and making us study for tests, but looking at it from a teacher's perspective I can see how wrong I was. Teachers need to assign some homework to see what the students can do on their own and what the teacher needs to reteach. Teachers also have to give out exams as a more formal way of assessing student learning. Teachers also have a pacing guide set for them that they need to follow.

As a teacher it is interesting to observe your students in the classroom and out of the classroom. It is helpful to watch their interactions with peers and with adults. There are some things that are difficult as a teacher. You have to discipline the students who misbehave (when you were a student you may have thought the misbehaving students were being funny) and try to redirect the class. You also have to deal with issues such as bullying and home life. As a student I was never bullied and was not a bully either. My home life was wonderful because I was raised by loving parents. As a teacher I will have to figure out the best ways to deal with bullying in my school and maybe even in my classroom. I will also have to be on the look out for signs of abuse or neglect on my students. It is so different to be on the other side of the classroom for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment